We are seeking an outgoing, self-motivated and energetic individual with experience in the steel industry. Individual must possess excellent communication skills, both written and oral, and be able to consult with clients, suppliers and vendors as projects require. Excellent organizational skills and good time management is essential, along with an understanding of project financials. This position will require both design experience utilizing AutoCAD and Inventor and project engineering/management experience on small to medium sized projects.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop a complete set of fabrication and construction drawings utilizing 2-D and 3-D CAD skills with the ability to work in and reference 3D models.
- Must be able to accurately draw complex piping and plate fabrication drawings from sketches or specifications using appropriate terms, procedures and drafting standards.
- Exercise independent judgment by utilizing the correct design criteria based on knowledge from vendor data and project scope.
- Check drawings for accuracy including dimensions, spelling, crafting standards and completeness.
- Review manufacturer’s drawings and other discipline drawings and any existing plan drawings for physical interference’s.
- Communicate with the project manager and other disciplines to resolve any design problems with the manufacturer’s drawings or interference’s.
- Advise, assist, and occasionally directs drafting personnel of a lesser grade in performance of their assigned duties.
- Assure the company quality assurance procedures are followed in completion of assigned tasks.
- Provides technical support for client inquiries.
- Demonstrates the ability to develop material specifications, requisitions for purchase.
- Minimum of 3-5 years work experience in the steelmaking or steel related industry, preferably specific to the melt shop
- BS in Engineering, preferably Mechanical or Structural
- Experience with water-cooled steelmaking furnace components as strong plus
- Knowledge of Heat Transfer, Fluid Dynamics and Air Handling systems a plus
- Proficient in Autodesk Inventor and AutoCad
- Experience with FEA or structural analysis a plus
- Proficient at working on multiple projects
- Ability to visualize the end product
- Ability to make independent decisions and work both individually and in a team environment
- Willing to travel as required
- Prior project engineering or project management experience
- Understanding of piping and plate fabrication a plus